Innovation blog. started this on 1:58 pm, Thursday march 9th 2023

HELLO WORLD!!!! I am here today to tell you about my innovation Day project. We were asked to build a medieval castle with a working drawbridge.

Medieval Information:

the people in the middle ages thought they were modern just like we do but someday we also probably won’t be modern. the middle ages has a period of time between ancient and modern.

some of the most successful barbarians were the Germanic tribes, the black death is a disease or what the empire used to call it, THE PLAGUE, it killed about 1 third of the population in Europe

in this period of time aside from THE PLAGUE people started developing unique architecture specifically castles and churches the castles had a series of small buildings, so kind of like a tiny town, for added protection some castles were protected by moats. most of the castles also have drawbridges so knights can’t just walk by. the king and queen were not exactly comfy inside these walls the castle is supposed to keep them safe not comfortable. also, I’m gonna need to use gears at some point and I need a good structure to ensure the building is stable.

Pulleys:activate

What is a pulley: A pulley is, most of the time something that is used in castles or anything that has moving piece that you need to move on a string. I can pull the string and this is called the force when the load is pulled up, it is easier for me because of the pulley. these are simple machines that help us in life.

What is a gears: A gear is rotating object with ‘teeth’ that grapple onto other gears to make movement. an example of a gear, as seen in my castle, lifting the flag of Israel!

Drawbridge

a drawbridge is a door that is very big and is most of the time controlled by a pulley. drawbridges were a defense tool, mostly surrounded by a moat or ditch. and a draw bridge might be removed or destroyed after it’s attacked

Here are some pictures and videos of the castles and drawbridges from the medieval times

Medieval Ashford castle and gardens – Co. Mayo – Ireland

My Hypothesis:

(Sorry there is no sound!) My hypothesis was that I would build one pulley that would raise the drawbridge and it would be protected by a moat.

Procedure:

Pictures of my build:

Final result:

Self assessment

I loved this project because first of all i got to add crocodiles and I love reptiles. I enjoyed learning about the black plague because it is interesting that one tiny virus can go all around Europe and a bit more and wiped out about half of the pollution. this was interesting for me. building the castle was probably my favourite part because i like putting things together – it is kind of like Lego. If I did this again, I would change the harpoon and make it bigger and maybe make more.

1 Comment

1. I love it I love the cute little bunny you added as the background keep the work up bye